The AMD Ryzen launch is only days away and I know you are as excited about the launch as I am....
Valve Rolled Out Update For Dualshock 4 Support On Steam
Recently Valve announced that it will officially support Sony’s much loved PlayStation 4 controller, Dualshock 4, and now steam users can play games with this controller right now. However, the support is currently in beta state.
Valve has rolled out an update for Dualshock 4 support on Steam, and according to the patch notes, Dualshock 4 will now will support same customization/configuration options as Steam controller.
- Updated web control to CEF v54.0.2840. This version requires Windows 7 or macOS 10.9 and above, users on older OS versions will continue running the existing version.
- Fixed third-party mods showing up as the incorrect game name in friends lists
- Improved the error message shown when trying to run a 64-bit game on a 32-bit OS
- Improved download and patching speeds when games are installed to a traditional non-SSD hard drive
- Added Steam Configurator support for PS4 Dual Shock Controller. Note that this is a beta release. Enable in Big Picture settings Add/Test Controller settings. When enabled, PS4 controllers will have access to the same sort of customization/configuration support as Steam Controllers, including native API support.
- PS4 Controllers using this system can map the trackpad, gyro, buttons, etc. to keyboard, mouse, or x-input outputs and can make use of action sets, touch menus, radial menus, and so forth.
- Added New Mode – Joystick Mouse. This is a joystick based mouse control useful for stick based controllers.
- Added default PS4 templates.
- Added software calibration for non-Steam controller based IMUs to counter for gyro drift.
- Configuration Browser can now be toggled to show all available controller types rather than the default of the in-use controller type.
- Configurations can now be marked as “Unique” to a specific controller. This configuration will only be applied to that controller for that user’s account. By default, all controllers of a specific type will share a configuration unless marked as Unique.
- Big Picture now supports PS4 controller glyphs when using Steam Configurator support.
- Automatically restart Steam if it crashes while streaming a game
- Added higher bandwidth options for 4K streaming
- Fixed a bug that caused the client to freeze when generating internal error reports
- Fixed issues when installing games into filesystems such as ZFS which report an abnormally large sector size
While Xbox controller are supported for PC, it good to see that other controllers are also getting some attention they need.