In today’s video, we discuss something subjective – are video game remasters good or bad? And...
Japanese Video Game Market Hit Lowest in 26 Years
It is a commonly known fact that the Japanese video game market has been declining over the past few years. However, 2015 saw the worst they have had in all my life i.e. 26 years!
According to newly released sales statistics by Famitsu, Japan made ¥321 billion but that was after a massive 13 percent decrease over last year. Out of this, ¥191 billion was generated from physical video game sales whereas the remaining ¥130 billion was generated from console and handheld sales. It is worth noting here that these figures represent a 16 percent and 8.5 percent decrease over the last year.
The Japanese video game market has gone below the ¥321 billion figure only once in the last 26 years when in 1988 the industry generated only ¥318 billion. Even one year after that i.e. in 1989 the market made ¥358 billion which tells a lot about the state of affairs right now.
One of the primary reasons for this is the shifting trend towards mobile gaming which has managed to become a major player in the Japanese video game market. The sales figures for mobile gaming are not included in the newly found statistics, though.
Other than this, top selling video games list and top selling console list has also been made available online alongside the numbers. Here are the top games:
- Monster Hunter X (Capcom) 3DS – 2,441,977
- Yo-Kai Watch Busters: Akaneko-dan / Shiroinu-tai (Level 5) 3DS – 1,965,202
- Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer (Nintendo) 3DS – 1,282,880
- Splatoon (Nintendo) Wii U – 1,064,897
- Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King (Square Enix) 3DS – 864,865
- Super Mario Maker (Nintendo) Wii U – 674,194
- Monster Strike (Mixi) 3DS – 636,709
- Yokai Watch 2: Shinuchi (Level 5) – 3DS – 625,223
- Rhythm Heaven: The Best+ (Nintendo) 3DS – 607,343
- Fire Emblem Fates: White Kingdom/Black Kingdom (Birthright / Conquest) (Nintendo) 3DS – 538,669
Moving on, here is the top sellers list for hardware, where Nintendo 3DS expectedly stayed on top by selling almost twice as much as PS4 although the total number includes sales figures for all 3DS variants:
- Nintendo 3DS (including 3DS, 3DS LL, New 3DS, New 3DS LL) – 2,189,900
- PS4 – 1,205,163
- PS Vita (including Vita TV) – 959,342
- Wii U – 82,304
- PS3 -18,8207
- Xbox One – 18,093
Do you see the Japanese video game market catching up to its good days again?