Only 24% of games Generated 94% in Revenue During Steam Summer Sale

By   /   Jun 30, 2015
Steam bundles pricing

Sergei Galyonkin has published a comprehensive blog post that offers us a fascinating insight into the recent Steam Summer Sale. The post is based on data obtained through Galyonkin’s Steam Spy analytics platform during the time the sale ran.

According to the data, around 24 percent of the discounted games during the Steam Summer Sale (1050 out of 4390) raked in at least $160 million. On the other hand, around 76 percent of discounted games (3,340) generated less than $9 million in revenue.

That’s quite a hold on Valve’s earnings by a significantly small portion of what Steam offers.

76 percent of games discounted during Steam Summer Sale sold less than 5,000 copies. Probably significantly less than that…together those 76 percent of games made less than $9 million in revenue.

Another interesting bit was that on an average, games that featured at least a 66 percent discounted price sold better than those with a 75 percent discount. In fact the better numbers were recorded for games with 50 percent price tags.

Median revenue varies from $40K for games with 75% discount to $75K to 66% and to $90K for 50%, 33% and 25% discounts

Galyonkin, though, noted that these figures are only for games included in SteamSpy stats — the ones that sold more than 5,000 copies.

Developers would be interested to know that even if they have discounted their games before a Steam Sale, people are more likely to assemble in hordes to buy them during a Steam Summer or Winter sale.

You can read more on the report here.

Featured Videos

Hot Right Now

AMD Ryzen CPU

The AMD Ryzen CPU Hits The Right Marks, Just Needs Right Price

The AMD Ryzen CPU was demoed recently and what a demo it was. AMD showed that the upcoming AMD...

by   /   Dec 15, 2016
Death Stranding leak

New Death Stranding Leak Revealed The Name Of Norman Reedus’ Character

Hideo Kojima rocked the internet with the reveal of Death Stranding trailer at The Game Awards...

by   /   Dec 15, 2016
Video Game Remasters

Untold Stories of Video Game Remasters – the Good, Bad, and Ugly

In today’s video, we discuss something subjective – are video game remasters good or bad? And...

by   /   Sep 9, 2016
Video Game Villains

Top 10 Invincible Video Game Villains Who Just Won’t Die, No Matter What

We all are accustomed with video game villains and the story usually concludes with the fall of...

by   /   Aug 18, 2016
Panasonic 3DO

Top-10 Retro Consoles You Never Knew Existed

Video gaming has come a long way! While we are well-acquainted with the likes of Xbox Scorpio and...

by   /   Aug 17, 2016
Load More