The AMD Ryzen CPU was demoed recently and what a demo it was. AMD showed that the upcoming AMD...
XCOM 2 Officially Announced, Releases For PC This Year
Following a week of teasing, 2K Games has today confirmed its upcoming new title to be XCOM 2, a direct sequel to XCOM: Enemy Unknown which was released in 2012.
Players will find themselves twenty years in the future, following “an unconditional surrender to alien forces.” The XCOM division is a thing of the past, and with the planet’s last line of defense destroyed, the aliens now rule Earth.
They have carefully blended themselves within the populace, building advanced cities and giving humanity the promise of a better future. However, deep within lies a sinister motive. The scattered XCOM forces must now regroup and find a way to eliminate the alien threat once and for all.
Like the first game, XCOM 2 will be bringing back the turn-based tactical combat, along with new features and plenty of improvements for the core experience. In contrast to last time, players will act as the invaders, with even scarcer resources and a mobile HQ.
According to 2K Games, XCOM 2 will feature procedurally-generated levels which “will make each experience unique to the player. The game will also have a “deeper level of modding support.”
The level of soldier customization has been increased, a variety of new alien and enemy types have been added, all five soldier classes have been updated, the combat has been evolved, “and more.”
Here’s a list of features the game is boasting on its official website:
- XCOM On The Run: Take command of the Avenger, an alien supply craft converted to XCOM’s mobile headquarters. Guide your strike force around the world, build popular support and expose the aliens’ sinister plans.
- Recruit Resistance Fighters: Five soldier classes, each with its own skill tree including new class abilities like Momentum, let you create specific soldiers for your tactical plan.
- Tactical Guerrilla Combat: New gameplay systems offer more tactical flexibility in combat. The state of the world affects each combat mission’s environment. Use concealment to ambush enemy patrols. Loot enemies for precious gear and artefacts. Rescue VIPs and save fallen comrades by carrying them to the extraction point.
- A New Breed Of Enemy: A diverse cast of enemies from powerful new alien species to the Advent, enforces of the alien regime, offer a distinct tactical challenge.
- Research, Develop and Upgrade: Configure and build rooms on the Avenger to give XCOM new capabilities on the battlefield. Use your Scientists and Engineers to research, develop and upgrade weapons and armour to fit your preferred tactics.
- Each Mission is a Unique Challenge: Go on missions around the world, from wildlands to the heart of the alien-controlled megacities, to the depths of alien installations. There are virtually infinite combinations of maps missions, and goals.
- Create Custom Mods: Community-focused tools allow you to create your own campaign, tactical gameplay, aliens, classes, strategy game features, and share within the Steam Workshop.
- Engage in Head-to-Head Multiplayer: Mix-and-match squads of humans and aliens battle head-to-head on randomly-generated maps.
2K Games has promised to showcase gameplay footage in two weeks.
XCOM 2 is scheduled for release this November for the PC. There’s no news on when and if the game will be heading towards consoles.