April NPD 2015: Xbox One Takes the Lead in the U.S
Well, just when we were getting used to a pattern of seeing PlayStation 4 lead in the United States, Xbox One has fought back. Microsoft’s latest gaming system, the Xbox One, has outsold Sony’s PlayStation 4 in U.S, according to April NPD figures.
Xbox One outselling Sony’s hardware was first revealed by Microsoft itself, but was also confirmed by The NPD later in the day. According to a detailed report released by the industry tracking firm, sales of both Xbox One and PlayStation 4 were stable for the month of April.
Hardware and software sales at retailers went up by 3% but it was no thanks to hardware sales though, as they were down 4% year-over-year.
Gamers bought more games in April 2015 and according to the figures shared by NPD, they spent $256.7 million in April, compared to $227.6 million during the same period last year. That is a 13% increase in software sales year-over-year.
According to NPD analyst Liam Callahan:
April 2015 hardware sales decreased by 4 percent due to the 55 percent decline in sales of [Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and Wii] hardware. [Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Wii U] hardware sales were stable, and portable hardware increased by 36 percent.
The increase in software sales in on the basis of case, however, on units basis console sales were recorded to be up 12%.
Below you can see the list of top 10 best selling games for the month of April:
- Mortal Kombat X (PS4, Xbox One)
- Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, Xbox One, PC, 360, PS3)
- Battlefield: Hardline (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
- MLB 15: The Show (PS4, PS3)
- Minecraft (360, PS3, Xbox One, PS4)
- NBA 2K15 (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
- Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
- Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
- Super Smash Bros. (3DS, Wii U)
- Borderlands: The Handsome Collection (PS4, Xbox One)
As for the PS4 vs Xbox One debate, exact margin of victory isn’t yet clear but the bottom line is, Xbox One was ahead in terms of sales last month.