Silent Hills Is Cancelled, Says Guillermo del Toro
Film director Guillermo del Toro has confirmed that Silent Hills is being cancelled.
During a panel discussion at the San Francisco International Film Festival last night, del Toro was asked for the status of Silent Hills. His response was “It’s not gonna happen and that breaks my greasy heart.”
His quote was then picked up by Matt Hackney on Twitter, and since then has gone viral on the social media. Shortly afterwards, del Toro’s own personal assistant, Ian Gibson, responded to another tweet where he also confirmed that the news was true.
Silent Hills is/was an upcoming title from Konami in the long running Silent Hill series. The new installment, which saw Metal Gear series creator Hideo Kojima join forces, was one of the major announcements from Gamescom 2014.
Unfortunately, it seems that Konami has decided to abandon the game after all. This assumption is not only based on del Toro’s statement, but also other minor facts. Such as Konami’s recent decision to pull P.T. (Playable Teaser) from the PlayStation Store. The short demo will no longer be available for download after April 29.
The other reason may have something to do with Kojima’s departure from Konami. The developer is said to be parting ways with the company after the release of Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain in September.
Silent Hills will be the third video game that has been abandoned by Guillermo del Toro. Before this was the horror game inSANE which was dropped by THQ three years back, and Sundown in 2006 which was similar to Left 4 Dead.