Petition Asking Valve to Take Down Paid Mods Attracts More Than 34,000 Signatures in a Day

By   /   2 years ago
Skyrim - Mods

Yesterday saw Valve announce a major change in its Steam Workshop policies, allowing all modders to now be able to sell their creations in the Steam Market.

It didn’t take long for the community to assemble and voice displeasure over the new change. Just a day in, the backlash to the paid mods has proven to be intense. There’s now a petition on which is demanding that Valve “remove the paid content of the Steam Workshop.” It has attracted more than 34,000 signatures so far in less than 24 hours.

The major concern amongst modders is that the open market is not going to be curated. It makes sense if you think about the thousands of different mods that are currently available for Skyrim alone, and the size of Valve itself.

There’s nothing stopping people from stealing content from others and putting it up for themselves. It has already begun and the first such mod has been pulled back by Steam.

Additionally, Valve is taking 75 percent of every sale, leaving modders with just 25 percent – and that too if only one person has worked on the project, else that figure too has to be divided amongst everyone.

Juggling all of the concerns, the community believes that paid mods will do more harm to the modding community than good. Valve of course has no obligation to respond to public petitions. The company, however, may issue a statement addressing these concerns.

Featured Videos

Join the Conversation

Hot Right Now

Video Game Remasters

Untold Stories of Video Game Remasters – the Good, Bad, and Ugly

In today’s video, we discuss something subjective – are video game remasters good or bad? And...

by   /   2 months ago
Video Game Villains

Top 10 Invincible Video Game Villains Who Just Won’t Die, No Matter …

We all are accustomed with video game villains and the story usually concludes with the fall of...

by   /   2 months ago
Panasonic 3DO

Top-10 Retro Consoles You Never Knew Existed

Video gaming has come a long way! While we are well-acquainted with the likes of Xbox Scorpio and...

by   /   2 months ago
Insanely Priced Retro-Games

Top-10 Insanely Priced Retro Games

It goes without saying that video gaming is a luxury and an expensive hobby. While most of the...

by   /   2 months ago
Video Games Past

Why Some Video Games Should Let Go of Their Past

We all have favorite video games franchises that we so dearly love the way they are and yet we also...

by   /   3 months ago
Load More