The AMD Ryzen CPU was demoed recently and what a demo it was. AMD showed that the upcoming AMD...
PlayStation Mobile Being Shut Down in September, Sony has Announced
PlayStation Mobile is to be closed by Sony in September. According to the company, starting July 15, no new content will be published in the store and after September 10, you won’t be able to download games at all.
With PlayStation Mobile, Sony wanted to bring its popular brand to mobile devices. It was also a way to bring PlayStation Vita and Android smartphones closer together, which have become a heaven for indie developers. However, the initiative never really gained traction in the competitive mobile market.
Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) has announced that PlayStation®Mobile (PSM) will cease distribution of content after July 15, 2015*1 and in-app purchases/re-download of purchased content will be discontinued after September 10, 2015.
Now this brings up one question, what will happen to the content players have purchased from PlayStation Mobile? Sony confirmed that games will still be playable after September 10 but only after a quick authentication.
PlayStation Mobile featured a DRM which asked users to authenticate their purchases regularly. Now that the service is going down, there is no need for the DRM. So, there will be one last check-in and you are home-free.
Here’s what to do:
- For PS Vita users: You will need to complete the device activation process by performing the steps below between March 10, 2015, and September 10, 2015:
- Go to [Settings] > [PSN℠] > [System Activation] > [PlayStation Mobile] > [Activate] > [OK].
- For PlayStation®Certified device users: You will need to open up the PSM app and launch any purchased PSM content between April 10, 2015 and September 10, 2015*3 to complete the content authentication process.
- Please ensure that you have downloaded all of the games that you want to keep. After September 10, 2015, you will not be able to re-download your purchased content.
- Devices that are not authenticated prior to September 10, 2015 will be unable to access previously purchased PSM content after that date.
For more information, visit the official PlayStation website.