Don’t Expect a Diablo MMO Now, Blizzard’s Interest has Waned

By   /   Nov 10, 2014

If some of you had been dwelling on what Blizzard had in mind back in 2011, about the idea of a Diablo MMO, let me tell you that it has been three years. A lot of things have changed since then – including the developer’s interest in the idea.

The lead content designer for the series, Kevin Martens was taking to Kotaku at BlizzCon 2014 about the future of the franchise when he officially revealed that a Diablo MMO was no longer what their minds were at:

It was a really interesting idea back when we were into it, but I think Diablo has a really strong fantasy on its own. Having a thousand people playing it with you on a server doesn’t dramatically increase it. We’ve learned to love the smaller, more focused party experience of four people.

He then pondered over the limit of supporting four players only; while they could have had five players or more, he thinks that it can’t be because the game is originally built around a four player model.

He says that learning more of ‘what we enjoy about Diablo’ has actually led to their belief that expansion of the game’s social circle isn’t what they need to work on.

This is in contrast to what ex-game director Jay Wilson had said back when he was actually directing the game. he wanted to make sure that their universe would at least ‘support’ an MMO title.

Do you think that the decision of dropping the idea of a Diablo MMO is correct? Would there be more fans wanting a massively multiplayer online game in the series or will there be more who want it to stay the way it is?

Let’s find out in the comments section!