Unreal Tournament Developer, Digital Extremes Sold to Chinese Companies

By   /   Oct 16, 2014

I am sure you guys wouldn’t need reminding about Digital Extremes, the studio that has participated in making some really awesome titles like Unreal Tournament, BioShock and now Warframe. News from their headquarters is that the Canadian studio now has a new owner.

According to the announcement made by the company, they have been acquired by two Chinese companies namely Multi Dynamic Games Group Inc. (a subsidiary of Sumpo Food Holdings Limited) and Perfect Online Holding Limited (a subsidiary of Perfect World Co., Ltd.).

The two acquirers have bought off 58 percent and 3 percent shares in Digital Extremes respectively making their total a majority holding of 61 percent.

The first reaction that we saw from most of the Warframe fans was disappointment. Naturally, one would expect things to change when a new owner takes over the development studio of a previous project. However the developers are confident.

James Schmalz who is the chief executive officer of Digital Extremes stated today that their new owners were really akin to their ideology of gaming as well as their approach. Not only that, he also reassured the Warframe fans that this takeover didn’t mean the future of the game was in jeopardy:

We are thrilled with the potential to work with partners who share our philosophy on the future of gaming and how we’re approaching it. This partnership will further empower us to continue making Warframe bigger and better with full control over its destiny.

Last but not the least, when the deal is closed it will also grant Perfect Online Holding Limited the exclusive publishing rights of Warframe on all the consoles in Mainland China.

How do you think this will affect Warframe and the future games that Digital Extremes is going to make?

Featured Videos

Hot Right Now


The AMD Ryzen CPU Hits The Right Marks, Just Needs Right Price

The AMD Ryzen CPU was demoed recently and what a demo it was. AMD showed that the upcoming AMD...

by   /   Dec 15, 2016
Death Stranding leak

New Death Stranding Leak Revealed The Name Of Norman Reedus’ Character

Hideo Kojima rocked the internet with the reveal of Death Stranding trailer at The Game Awards...

by   /   Dec 15, 2016
Video Game Remasters

Untold Stories of Video Game Remasters – the Good, Bad, and Ugly

In today’s video, we discuss something subjective – are video game remasters good or bad? And...

by   /   Sep 9, 2016
Video Game Villains

Top 10 Invincible Video Game Villains Who Just Won’t Die, No Matter What

We all are accustomed with video game villains and the story usually concludes with the fall of...

by   /   Aug 18, 2016
Panasonic 3DO

Top-10 Retro Consoles You Never Knew Existed

Video gaming has come a long way! While we are well-acquainted with the likes of Xbox Scorpio and...

by   /   Aug 17, 2016
Load More