Total War Rome 2 Crashes, Lag, Errors, Graphics, Blackscreen and Fixes

By   /   2 years ago

Total War: Rome 2 is the eighth installment in the series. Fans of strategy games would know how big the series is and the latest iteration isn’t going to let its predecessors down.

The game, however, is bound to be plagued a bit by the post launch issues, including errors, crashes or small bugs (It’s a PC game after all). The developer is hard at work to resolve these issues, and most of these issues should be resolved soon.

If you are experiencing an issue that you can’t resolve, you should look for workarounds that we listed below for some of the common problems faced by the community. If you still can’t fix it, tell us in comments, and we will help you out!

#1 Total War: Rome 2 Switchable Graphics Issues
I know that many of you are going to play the game on your laptops. A common problem that can spoil the experience is the use of integrated intel memory instead of the dedicated one.

The Last Guardian
Promoted Story

How Xbox One and PS4 Exclusives Stack Up Against Each Other in 2016

Every year is a fresh start for the two giant console platforms who are constantly looking to...

#2 Total War Rome 2 Unable to Launch Game
It’s a common practice that one should verify the game cache if the game is being crashed or you are unable to start it. The game should download a few files if needed and the problem will be fixed. Some users have also reported that changing the language somehow made it work for them.

#3 Total War Rome 2 – How to Fix Poor Textures/Graphics
If you are experiencing poor textures, here is a small fix you can try to sort out the problem. Go to your graphics options in-game and open advanced settings.

Here, you need to make sure that “Vegetation Alpha” option is set to on. You can then use the benchmarking. Some users have also reported that restarting Steam fixed the issue fore them.

#4 Total war Rome 2 – Flickering Issue Fix
The game is hard-on graphics, and most of the users must be using crossfire to get the stable experience. However, flickering can be a side effect easily caused by the use of dual cards. So those who are facing flickering, should try to disable crossfire. This should make the experience better even with lower graphics.

#5 Total War Rome 2 has stopped working
This error can occur due to a number of reasons. First, you need to make sure that you are running the game as admin and there is no third party application in the background like Xfire or anything that is not actively being used.

It goes without saying that you should meet the minimum system requirements to run the game. Driver updates are also mandatory so make sure that they are up to date.

#6 Total War Rome 2 Problem With Unpacking
Unpacking usually takes some time, and Rome 2 is a big game anyway so you need to wait a bit. However, if it doesn’t work, you need to delete the app cache present in the Steam folder and then retry. Don’t forget to restart Steam.

#7 Total War Rome 2 – Black Screen Issue
For the time being, I am not really sure what the root cause of the problem is as there has been a variety of reports regarding a black screen.

Generally, it’s the conflict between the native desktop resolution and in-game resolution or outdated drivers, but it may well be a bug needed to be fixed. You can also try to run the game in the windowed mode to see if you can get to the graphics settings. Furthermore, if you are using SLI/Crossfire, try disabling it.

#8 Total War Rome 2 The Game Isn’t Showing in the Library
You need to apply an old school fix to resolve the matter:

• Go to your Steam folder in Program Files
  • There, you need to delete ClientRegistry.blob file.
  • Restart Steam and it should be visible.

#9 Total War Rome 2 Long Loading Time Fix
Here is a fix that might work for you:

• First, you need to go to the directory where your Steam is installed (e.g. C:\Program Files\Steam\).
  • Delete everything in it except for the Steam.exe and Steamapps folder.
  • Restart your PC and start Steam from the same “.exe” file and not the shortcut.
  • Launch the game again and see if the problem is resolved.

#10 Total War Rome 2 – The Game Stuck at 100% Download
You can use the fix mentioned in #9 to resolve the issue. You need to delete the clientregistry.blob file in the Steam Folder. If it still doesn’t work, re-download could be a feasible option.

#11 Total War Rome 2 – Crash to Desktop (CTD) Fix
Validating the integrity of game files should resolve the issue as many crashes can occur due to corrupt installation. Furthermore, make sure that there is nothing wrong with the redistributable package or directx.

Re-installing both can fix the issue for you. Furthermore, try running the game in windowed mode. Sometimes, changing the compatibility mode can also resolve the issue.

In order to change the compatibility mode, right click on the game’s “.exe” file and click properties. You will be able to see the compatibility tab above.

#12 Total War Rome 2 – FPS Fix
Since the game is using the same engine as that of Shogun 2, the FPS boost can be related to the graphics settings. Even if you are using a high end PC, try not to use any detail setting above high.

If you still can’t fix the issue, comment and we will try to help you out!

Being the managing editor, Ali manages a lot of the editorial duties as well as publishing stories for you. A long-time gamer, his favorite game series is the Gears of War but when he's not gaming he likes to kick back with a few popular animes like Naruto.

76 responses to “Total War Rome 2 Crashes, Lag, Errors, Graphics, Blackscreen and Fixes”

1. Stormtrooper133 says:

When I try and play on large maps, my battle map on both the battle loading screen, and on the mini map, have colored lines running up and down, and it doesn’t display the map

2. Roman Emperor 1 says:

I went out and bought a new, pretty decent computer, just for Rome 2. I had no problems until they started with the patches and all. But, I finally got it working again last week…Was about 100 turns into a campaign, and today it wont go passed the 1st, loading screen! I don’t know what happened? I don’t know much about computers and Im not very skilled at the more technical stuff! But Ive tried everything I can think of. (Uninstalling and reinstalling both the game and Steam.) But when I try to re-install it still has the files from disk 2 and 3. So, its not like Im really starting over! How do I completely erase/get rid of the game & all its files, so that I can download it fresh and start from scratch? Help would be SOO very much appreciated!! Thanx.

3. ran says:

why end turn button is not working???

4. scotty says:

get some troubling lagg
    ive run the bench mark and says 50 to 60 fps
    but im getting like 20 fps during battles at times
    im running 2700k i7 cpu 3:50ghz
    680 gtx 4gb
    8 gigs of ddr3 ram
    any ideas will be greatly appreciated thx for your time 😀

5. Gilgorn says:

It is hard to explain the problem I am having, as R2TW look perfect, loads quickly, and basically runs like a game should. However, when I am playing the game, at any time my mouse pointer changes into a slender bar that looks like a stack of chevrons. Against some backgrounds it disappears and then I cant tell where it is unless a button lights up. After some difficulty I quit the game at that point and then my cursor on my PC is now the same as what happened in the game.

6. Harry says:

The game runs perfectly until I end the first turn, then all the turns after that are stuck on 3-5 fps

7. martin says:

how do i fix unexpected format %s used with type void please

8. keekz says:

i have the game in 2 computers, one laptop and one computer i builded. on my laptop it runs good but veeeerrry slow for obvious reasons but on my computer it runs very smooth and fast, but once i end the very first turn in campaign mode with any faction, it crashes my whole system!!! it makes my computer restart and i tried many things to try to fix it but its useless. does anyone have any idea on how to fix this crash???

9. sinclair04 says:

hi guys.. im currently having a problem, i can’t see any of my units/agents on the landscape and inside the battle scene.. my video card is nvidia geforce gt 440.. i didn’t have a problem with shogun 2 so im wondering why the units cant be seen in rome 2.

10. Luis says:

I am having the black screen during start up that no matter what i do wont go away. can anyone help me? :(

11. william says:

when i am in battle the screen will just freeze and i have to restart my computer

12. Achilles says:

The campaign map in general seems to run slower the longer i play for instance on turns 1-9 i normally can move around smooth and my waiting time for ai turns is normally about 1 minute tops, but once i get around turns 12 on the map moves slower and the ai turns go from 1 minute to 2-3 which really gets old. Battles in general run very smoothly for me no lag or slower downs granted the units look granny,
    Comp specs
    intel 2.4 ghz quad core processor
    amd xfx 7850 1 gb

13. Wuster says:

I end my turn and wait for the AI to do their thing but when ever it reaches one of the factions the game crashes.. Why?

14. Syzmo says:

whenever I try to open the game it a message pops up saying “Total War Rome II has stopped working. a problem caused the program to stop working correctly. windows will close and notify you if a solution becomes available.” Non of the solutions listed under number 5 have helped me. Any additional help is greatly appreciated, I cant wait to finally get to play.

15. rattlesnake_906 says:

I will need more details. About your hardware and OS.

16. Help says:

I messed up and changed my (opens with) tab in my pc to Adobe instead of the default program and I cant find where to change it back. it was originally listed as “unknown” now once I hit play it takes me straight back to my home screen

17. Adriane Lee says:

Using an Envy 14 I7. Switchable graphics. Have tried every solution online but just can’t get it to switch to Radeon card while playing. Stuck on Intel HD graphic card. Also can’t set graphics beyond medium settings.

18. Bones says:

Black screen I have. AMD turion x2 dual core mobile processor RM 72 3GB SDRAM 250GB HDD windows vista ATI radeon graphics can someone help and if its outdated then I’m going to be pissed

19. random says:

Black screen help but put it in simple terms cause I’m not a computer junki

20. molgannard says:

I can get into the game and pick a faction to start a campaign but as soon as the screen loads it crashes, can anyone help?

21. Hello, if you know any solution I’d appreciate it. I work at 13-18fps not care anyway everything ultra low.

Hardware: AMD x6 1090T 3.6 Ghz RAM 12GB 1,600

Ati Radeon 6850 Toxic overcl. 1GB GDDR5

7200 HDD good 1 year.

The shogun 2 me butt worked 16x FULL.

How is it possible?

Thank you, greetings.

22. Reco2 says:

Working fine yesterday….it now crashes on loading screen.

Basically freezes.

23. rattlesnake_906 says:

Share your system specs? Are you trying to overdo the settings or it’s with every menu?

24. Mike says:

Just like everyone above using a laptop, when I go into options and under graphics it only reads my integrated memory, not my Nvidia. I keep clicking on it but no options to switch it come up. Any ideas on how to switch the graphics cards?

25. Chippey5 says:

I have an Asus GTX560 DCTop2 and my screen screen just randomly turns black, with just the game cursor there. I can move the cursor and press escape but the whole UI is in fact gone. Highly disappointing.

26. Tom says:

Having a big problem where the words
    “no texture” is appearing across the whole ground of the terrain…
    still happens when the terrain detail is on low even though the game runs smooth
    at 40fps on very high. If anyone could help it would be much appreciated! 😀

27. zalan says:

The option cant be set up on then screen coz I cant click on them. I cant click on the “Benchmark “settings. The menu is on the screen’s right side! WTF???? my system : i5 3570k 16gb ram hd 7970 3gb …

28. Aaron O'regan says:

This game keeps on restarting my pc. everything runs smooth until my screen goes black and i hear crazy buzzing noises, then my pc restarts.

• dan says:

same. only ive gone out and bought a new fucking graphics card and psu think its my pc. Motherfucker. im installing the patch now. if it does the same im gonna go get drunk in disgust. -£300

29. Dan says:

Im not stuck at 100% but Im stuck at 79% and it wont get past there. After a few minutes of waiting for it to download it just crashes, sometimes saying that it stopped running this Bootstrapper buildbot_win32_client etc etc thing. anyone have any ideas that could help?

30. v6v77 says:

everytime i try to launch the game i get the error, “Unexpected format %S used with type void*”

any help?

31. Ed says:

I’m having an issue where I cant fast forward battles (or can but only very minimally). Stunning as they are, it’s a long wait sometimes to actually meet the enemy! any ideas?

32. rahurhg says:

It’s ridiculous really: my laptop meets the recommended settings and yet on the lowest possible graphics it’s numbingly slow, choppy and freezes. I don’t have this issue with any other games: for example, I can the run the original Rome Total War at max graphics and it runs perfectly smoothly. I don’t understand why the game is so shockingly bad even though I have recommended settings, plus some cushion. Hopefully a long list of updates and patches will be rushed through so I can actually play the game :(

33. spathius says:

When i start my game, the start prologue menu flickers, when i click anything, it crashes, windows will say it’s not working.

34. rattlesnake_906 says:

If it’s a CD key issue, you should immediately contact the official support.

35. rattlesnake_906 says:

Have you tried out the fix mentioned in the article for long loading times?

36. Scrab says:

I installed the game but when I lauch it, it says that game is not installed or being installed or updated although it’s not. Really annoying.

37. Kieren says:

Im having a processor issue, my in battle gfx and on the map is perfect, high end quality, but when i click end turn it lags bad whilst skipping through factions and freezes, crashing my computer. I believe this is due to the game only using 2 slots of my 6 core processor, at the maximum useage possible, leabing the other 4 core slots doing nothing, overrunning the processors capacity and forcing a shutdown, its making the campaign not possible to play. Any ideas on how to fix this?

38. luke says:

mine plays for a while then closes and says rome 2 has stopped working windoows is finding a soloutin

39. phraay says:

also having the graphics card issue, been looking up and down the interwebz without finding a fix

40. Crucer says:

I have installed RTW2 from steam and i was playing for a while when suddenly my screen got a grey tint. 5 seconda later it jumped back to normal, but 5 seconds later it jumped back again, and it continued in a slow flicker. I closed the game session but it continued, and even aftrer i shut down the game it continued. I restarted my cpmputer, but to no prevail. What should i doooo???

41. Strat says:

Not sure if anyone else is having this problem but I am running crossfire MSI 7970’s and my second GPU isn’t being used.. Only the first GPU runs (typically at 80-100%), but the second GPU core sits squarely at 0 (monitored with MSI afterburner). Any thoughts?

42. eve says:

“#1 Total War: Rome 2 Switchable Graphics Issues

Whether you are using an nVidia card or AMD, you should make sure that your game is being run using the graphics card for gaming. Intel cards can also result in various performance issues and crashes.”

just like my previous mates, how can i switch ?! lol thx

43. sigint says:

I’m having the graphics card issue. The game only recognizes the integrated memory. How do I switch to my Nvidia card?

44. Diego says:

How do I make the game use my nvidia graphics card instead on the integrated Intel?

45. SuperDry says:

Still having “random” CTD… tried running the game as Admin, in window mode. Integrity of the game is validated, also tried a reinstall. Drivers are all up to date. Any idea? :(

46. castromuffins says:

This may be a dumb question but how to do put this game into windowed mode, I’ve tried a few things for other games that I’ve found on the internet and it doesn’t seem to work when launching it through steam, or from the desktop short cut.