This allows the player to attain some very powerful items via crafting, which is done by a Blacksmith or Jeweller. However, like everything else in the game, the art is not simple and absolute; progression in crafting is extremely important as is luck.
There are two main Artisans in this game:
Blacksmith – The adept Blacksmith Haedrig Eamon is available early in the game and can craft anything that can be equipped, ranging from armor to shoes to weapons of all variety.
Jeweler – The strangely eccentric but wise Jeweler Covetous Shen excels at the knowledge of creating rare gems for inserting into socketed items. Additionally, he can remove gems from any socket the player desires.
The following items can be found with sockets for gem insertion:
- Helms of all types
- Chest Armors and Cloaks
- Belts of all types
When you attain the Blacksmith early in the game, you will be briefly introduced to the methods of crafting. Though initially quite intuitive, crafting has a lot of luck, patience, and most importantly money involved in it.
There are 3 requirements for crafting an item:
- The Blacksmith/Jeweller should know how to craft the item
- Your character should meet the requirements of the item (character type, required level, etcetera)
- You have the necessary crafting materials to craft the item
Once these requirements are met for a specific item, you will be able to craft that item.
Artisans require certain set of materials to craft a given item. These materials can be obtained by salvaging material in your inventory that you do not require, or finding them through loot.
The type of material obtained directly depends on the nature of the item i.e. magical, rare, legendary etcetera.
Note that non-magical items cannot be salvaged.
The crafting materials for the different difficulties of the game are:
- Subtle Essence – Obtained by salvaging magic items
- Fallen Tooth – Obtained by salvaging rare items
- Shimmering Essence – Obtained by salvaging magic items found in Nightmare
- Lizard Eye – Obtained by salvaging rare items found in Nightmare
- Wishful Essence – Obtained by salvaging magic items found in Hell mode
- Encrust Hoof – Obtained by salvaging rare items found in Hell mode
- Exquisite Essence – Obtained by salvaging magic items found in Inferno mode
- Iridescent Tear – Obtained by salvaging rare items found in Inferno mode
- Fiery Brimstone – Obtained by salvaging Legendary Items
For the Jeweler, many gems can be made by using flawed rocks (amethyst, topaz, ruby etc.) as materials to create more perfect rocks such as ‘Flawless Amethyst, Star Amethyst’ etc.
The job of the Jeweler is to make better gems from the flawed and chipped gems that you find as loot. Furthermore, the Jeweler can also remove gems from socketed items without destroying them.
There are four types of gems in this game. These are:
Amethyst: Helm: +% Life; Weapon: Each Hit Adds +X Life; Other: + X Vitality
Emerald: Helm: +% Extra Gold from Monsters; Weapon: +% Crit Damage; Other: + X Dexterity
Ruby: Helm: Increases Experience per Kill by X%; Weapon: +X-Y Damage; Other: + X Strength
Topaz: Helm: +% Better Chance of Finding Magic Items; Weapon: Melee Attackers Take X Damage on Hit; Other: + X Intelligence
Leveling Artisans For Crafting
Alongside yourself, it is essential that you level up the Artisans as well. The higher their level the better the equipment available for crafting will get. However, this obviously comes with a heavy price. Leveling the Blacksmith/Jeweler is perhaps one of the most expensive practices in the game.