The AMD Ryzen CPU was demoed recently and what a demo it was. AMD showed that the upcoming AMD...
Star Trek Online Bugs, Crashes, Launcher, Patch, Lag, Freezes and Fixes
All you need to do is download the client, create a free account and enter the magical world of Star Trek. If you come across any issues, our troubleshooting guide will help you out.
#1 Star Trek Online Launcher Crashes On Login
This can be due to multiple reasons. Make sure that your firewall/antivirus is not blocking STO and you have latest Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable installed on your system.
Shut down all unnecessary programs and you will be fine. Applications like Teamviewer can also cause the problem.
#2 Some Options are Gryed Out/Unavailable
This occurs when you are playing the game in windowed mode. It happens due to inability of directx to support several features of the game in this mode. Switch to full screen to fully experience the game.
#3 Problems With Downloading and Installing STO
If you don’t download client from official site you may end up with corrupted or missing files. That’s why it is recommended that you download the client from the official site.
#4 Star Trek Online High Loading Times
The problem is usually associated with your internet connection and hard drive performance. You can try the following workarounds to fix it:
- Try to run the windows disk defragment.
- Make sure that your hard drive has the minimum required free space for the game.
- Lag can also be typically associated with your internet connection performance.
#5 Warning About Low Memory and reduced in-game Textures in Star Trek Online
The system will display the warning when you are running the game at high graphics settings and your system is running out of memory. You need to lower the graphics to resolve the issue.
#6 Shuttering During Ground Mission in Star Trek Online
If you are using NVIDIA card then try to change your graphics drivers. The beta drivers are reported to have this issue. Try changing the drivers to the stable version.
#7 Star Trek Online Sound Issues/No Sound
The problem is associated with the sound card drivers. So, update your sound drivers by follow these simple steps (For Realtek users):
- Download the latest drivers.
- Go into the Control Panel and select Add/Remove Programs, or Programs and Features under Win7/Vista, and completely uninstall the current installed drivers.
- Reboot the system.
- Upon restart the user will get one or more messages from Windows asking for drivers. Cancel them and allow the system to completely finish loading.
- Once the system has finished loading install the updated drivers and reboot when prompted.
If this does not solve the problem then exit the game and bring up the Launcher > Click Options > and in the “Advanced command line” box, paste this: “-ignorex64check” and accept the changes and try loading the game.
#8 Star Trek Online Black Screen Problem
If you are using ATI card then try disabling the AI through the catalyst options. If you can run the game in safe mode, you can try the following workaround:
- Start the game in Safe Mode. There is an option in the upper right corner to do this.
- If the game loads up in safe mode, go into options and change the resolution to what ever settings you want.
- Exit the game and restart the game. You should not get the black screen. If you do try re-booting and start the game again.
If you have dual monitors then you should try disabling one.
#9 How to create a ‘Client Dump’ for the developer
If you are asked about the Dump file associated with the crash then you should follow these steps:
- Head to your installed directory of STO. The default location is in your Program Files folder, or Program Files (x86) for 64-bit versions of Windows. You’ll need to go here and even further into the Live folder.
%PROGRAMFILES%\Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online\Live
- Find the file named crypticError.exe and launch it with the frozen STO client still running.
- Find the process named GameClient.exe and select it.
- Click on the “Send” button.
- Make sure the STO client and the CrypticError application are running during this entire process. This helps Cryptic trace and find the cause of your client freeze/crash.
#10 How to Get Client Settings for Star Trek Online
If Support asks you for your client settings (i.e your system settings) then you can retrieve them in the following way:
- Head to the installed directory of STO. The default location is in your Program Files folder, or Program Files (x86) for 64-bit versions of Windows. You’ll need to go here and even further into the Live and then Localdata folders. %PROGRAMFILES%\Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online\Live\Localdata
- Open the only file here, Gameprefs.Pref with a text editor such as Notepad.
- Select the desired text and copy it and paste it into your message. For just graphics settings, copy only the lines prefixed with PrefEntry GfxSettings.
#11 Star Trek Online Error – Character Creation Failed
It is commonly due to the connection issue so retrying should solve the problem. If you are getting the message persistently then you should pass the character selection screen as soon as you can. You can change your character’s name (like settings) later. Also make sure that you don’t choose any name that is not available e.g names already being used in the game.
#12 Launcher Stuck On Patching
If that happens, you should restart your PC and run the launcher again. If that doesn’t help, kill the launcher task from “Task Manager” and launch it again. Hopefully, it will solve the issue.
If you are facing any other issues, let us know and we will try to help you out.