We all are accustomed with video game villains and the story usually concludes with the fall of...
The Witcher 2.0 Update Brings Arena Mode and Lots of Changes
CD Projekt RED freshly revealed a full list of changes that will accompany the upcoming The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings 2.0 patch update. This patch will be available on 29th September via automatic update for everyone.
The 2.0 patch adds major improvements to the game for free, comprising of new features and all the additional features released in previous DLCs. Alongside conventional bug fixes and content of previous DLCs, the 2.0 patch will also bring new games modes and improvements in combat.
The new game modes are as followed:
Arena – A new gameplay mode that is separate from the main adventure and narrative of The Witcher 2. This mode pits Geralt in a gladiator-styled fight in an arena located in some unnamed town located in the Northern Kingdoms. This allows you to win additional gold and items, and players receive points for wins which they can post online on a leaderboard. Geralt will encounter both foes and allies in the battlefield, and the latter can be recruited for a fee to accompany him in other tougher Arena battles.
Tutorial – Tutorial mode is in the form of a brief adventure, teaching newcomers the mechanics and concepts of the game. Players reassume the role of game protagonist Geralt saving a wounded knight named Bolton of Ironford while learning game controls as well as the basics of combat and alchemy. The learning occurs step by step as the tutorial guides players through a series of minor missions. Based on demonstrated abilities, the tutorial recommends the difficulty level which the player should choose for the main storyline.
Dark Mode – The Dark Mode is the most demanding difficulty level of the game. Foes are significantly stronger and individually more challenging as compared to the other difficulty levels. . In addition to raising the difficulty bar, the mode includes several new sets of equipment/items linked through a dark legend detailed in the Journal. Once all their components have been collected, Blasphemer’s, Oathbreaker’s and Kinslayer’s outfits provide great advantages in combat. The swords included in the outfits strip opponents of Vitality while supplementing Geralt’s. However, the swords must be used in collaboration with their completed respective outfits – doing otherwise saps Vitality from Geralt.
Apart from the above modes, there are corrections/enhancements made to the combat, along with other minor improvements. Below is the full list of changes:
Corrections and improvements to combat:
- Numerous improvements have been made in the targeting system.
- Parrying is now unlimited (even when Vigor is completely depleted), though parries no longer cancel all damage (maximum 50% reduction once the relevant ability has been acquired).
- Responsiveness of game controls has been improved. This includes but is not limited to casting Signs, parrying, and attacking immediately after evading an opponent’s assault.
- Geralt’s attacks are no longer interrupted by attacking opponents. Attacks are now contiguous and foes cannot interrupt Geralt’s attacks by landing a blow.
- Assorted fixes now prevent opponents from incessantly attacking Geralt after he has been knocked down. Geralt can no longer be knocked down repeatedly in quick succession. Also, he rises quickly while evading subsequent attacks.
- Geralt no longer attacks opponents located behind other opponents positioned nearer to him.
- The target locking system has been improved. Preference is now given to previously highlighted targets.
- Target selection has been improved. Priority is now given to foes affected by a critical effect facilitating the completion of a finishing move.
- The additional two steps Geralt took after mounting an attack with the W, S, A or D key depressed have been eliminated.
- Attacks can now be continued even when a key controlling Geralt’s movement (e.g. W, S, A, D) is depressed.
- Attacks can now be continued if the attack key is depressed immediately after the final strike of an attack animation sequence.
- Geralt can now pivot 180 degrees immediately after completing an attack.
- Assorted problems with key responsiveness have been resolved. Keys no longer need to be depressed twice or more to trigger a given action.
- A distance attack problem has been resolved. Geralt now mounts distance attacks (lunge with sword in hand in the Fast style) when opponents were located at a suitable distance from him.
Other corrections and amendments:
- Casting several bombs no longer blocks further inputs.
- An option has been added to the configuration tool enabling aspect ratio to be set independently of resolution.
- The amount of disk space required for game patching has been reduced.
- The loading of selected Witcher 1 game saves no longer causes the game to crash.
- A greater number of monsters now appear in the cave leading to Loc Muinne.
- Improvements have been made in the manner in which monsters are spawned in the mist in Chapter 2.
- The visual effect accompanying Adrenaline use no longer disappears prematurely.
- Archers now draw their swords more quickly when Geralt approaches.
- Mages no longer automatically cast shield spells when Geralt casts daggers at them.
- The game is now paused when Geralt executes a finishing move in combat.
- The troll in Chapter 2 has been corrected. Previously, in some circumstances he could not be attacked.
- Physics on cast daggers have been improved.
- The site for aiming daggers is now more visible.
- Geralt’s animation when he dies while casting the Axii Sign has been corrected.
- An exploit in the fight against Letho has been eliminated. Previously, this foe could be killed by casting bombs in quick succession.
- An exploit related to the ‘Insane’ difficulty setting has been eliminated. Previously, game saves could be loaded with difficulty set to this level, which was contrary to design intentions.
- Camera positioning/operation has been corrected during the boss fight against the kayran.
- Camera control via gamepads has been improved.
- Assorted adjustments have been made in mutagen statistics.
- The ‘Junk’ filter in the Inventory has been adjusted to provide for correct item filtering.
- In the Inventory, the dialogue window warning of prohibited actions has been corrected.
- Assorted corrections have been introduced to the mini-map in Chapter 1.
- Audio balance throughout the game has been adjusted.
- Erratic character teleportation in mini–games has been eliminated.
- Assorted adjustments have been made in animations applying to nekkers.
- A minor bug in the “Scent of Incense” quest has been resolved.
- Numerous minor fixes have been introduced in character lip-sync throughout the game.
So are you excited ? The update rolls out tomorrow!