During Microsoft's E3 media briefing, the company announced a slimmer version of Xbox One called...
Optimize Windows Vista/Windows 7 For Gaming
Windows XP is too old now and many users have shifted to the latest Operating systems from Microsoft, Windows Vista and Windows 7. There are different ways through which you can tweak your OS to boost up the overall performance. Gamers in particular need to get max out of their hardware for the better gaming experience. This short guide will help you improving your overall system performance and specially the gaming experience in Windows Vista/Windows 7.
It is recommended that you keep your OS up to date. There are different ways to update your windows and easiest of them is through windows update tool. You can also try an update released by Microsoft for graphics and performance boost for Windows 7. It also imparts some extra functions to your OS.You can also read this guide for general performance boost in Windows 7 or Vista.
Latest drivers for your hardware are strongly recommended for the better performance and efficiency. Among all drivers, sound and GPU drivers have prome importance. You can always find updates for your drivers from the official sites of your hardware brand like ATI and Nvidia etc.
Now for the GPU driver installation, you should be sure that you have properly removed your old drivers and then you can install the updated version.
GPU Drivers Removal & Installation
- Remove the drivers either form your control panel or using the device manager. I will recommend that you use the control panel as you can also remove the associated softwares with it.
- Once you have removed the drivers make sure that in “Device Manager” in your Display Adapters tab it says, “Standard VGA Display Adapter” after scanning for hardware changes.
- System Reboot is highly recommended before the new install.
- Now reinstall the fresh copy of the drivers and your drivers will updated properly without any conflict.
Note. It is recommended that you uninstall PhysX and reinstall it.
Modified Drivers for ATI
If you are using an ATI GPU then you can use tweaked drivers for the best performance. All the basic tweaks like the adjustment of A.I. has been included in these drivers. you can have the latest version of these drivers from here.
Check Your OS
You can perform extra assessment test by TwL’s assessment tool. It will identify any instabilities and then try to rectify them on the system reboot. Make sure that the test runs completely.
While playing the game, it is recommended that you:
- Disable your antivirus and firewall. It is not necessary though as most of the antivirus softwares eat lesser resources these days.
- Defrag your hard drives on regular basis.
- Try closing the applications that are running background eating up your resources like the torrent softwares and other similar applications using the Task Manager.
- Your Task Bar should not have least no. of icons.
- You can also turn off your windows defender if you want. Type defender in the start menu and you will reach the tool.
Good Internet connection is the basic requirement for smooth online experience. Port forwarding is recommended of required if you are behind a router to avoid connection losses and Lag.
If you are facing connection spikes during multiplayer then you can read this tutorial for the solution.