Medal of Honor 2010 Errors, Crashes, Freezes, Bugs, and Fixes
We are so done with Medal of Honor 2010 beta and now comes the final game and we are here again, taking on the errors, crashes, and freezes one at a time. It was interesting to see few people canceling their pre-order just because beta was “that buggy”. It was plagued by game breaking issues, errors, freezes, and infamous crashes to desktop, the very problem still not resolved in Battlefield Bad Company 2, though only few face this problem now.
Developers, DICE, I got to say tried their best to resolve all these issues before hand, and also extended the beta just for the sake of perfecting the final product. Still, you can’t release a product perfect when there are millions of people who will actually be playing Medal of Honor, Online/Offline. There is no way, for a developer to fix everything that will be faced by people who will be playing the game.
Anyway, will save this talk for another day. Here are some of the most frequent errors, freezes, crashes, and bugs faced by people while playing the game.
Medal of Honor 2010 Errors, Crashes, Freezes, and Fixes
1# Medal of Honor 2010 Controls Bug
Started playing the game but the soldier automatically starts moving to a certain direction ?. Can’t change anything on the menu screen because of repeated up/down movements of cursor ?. This issue is arising because Medal of Honor 2010 automatically uses your controller, so if you have any controller plugged in, unplug the controller and the issue will be resolved.
2# “You Have Been Kicked From the Server” at Class Selection
If you face this while at Class selection screen of Medal of Honor, make sure you have Punkbuster installed.
3# Medal of Honor 2010 Crashes and Freezing
If you are facing random crashes and game freezes while playing Medal of Honor Operation Anaconda, try running the game in DirectX 9 or 10. It happens due to DirectX settings set to auto.
How to Set DirectX Version
C:\Users\\Documents\EA Games\Medal of Honor MP
Open settings.ini file with any text editor be it notepad.
Now change DxVersion=Auto to DxVersion=10. If you want to run the game in DirectX 9, change the respective number, change 10 to 9 or 11.
4# Medal of Honor 2010 Black Screen
5# Medal of Honor 2010 Crash to Desktop
1. Go to
C:\Users\\Documents\EA Games\Medal of Honor MP
Open “settings.ini”and change “DxVersion” from “auto” to “9”. Also try running the game as admin in Windows Vista SP2 compatibility.
2. If you can’t resolve this crash whatsoever then only solution is to Open “settings.ini” and under [WindowSettings] change fullscreen=”true” to fullscreen=”false” and play the game windowed for the time being. If you can get into Full List of Medal Of Honor 2010 Tweaks through the link.
6# Medal of Honor 2010 Freezes
If your Medal of Honor is randomly freezing, update your video card drivers will resolve this issue. On the side note, make sure your processor usage percentage is normal and you have enough available virtual memory to support/run the game smoothly.
Medal of Honor 2010 Troubleshooting Guide
Medal of Honor 2010 Install Problems
Medal of Honor will only install and run on machines installed with Windows XP (SP3), Windows Vista (SP2), Windows 7.
To install from the Medal of Honor DVD
1. Start your machine and wait for the Windows XP/Vista/Windows 7 operating system to load.
2. Place the Medal of Honor DVD in the DVD drive.
3. Windows will automatically detect the DVD and launch the autorun options, from which the user can select to begin the installation. Follow the on-screen instructions to install Medal of Honor. If needed, DirectX 9.0c will be installed or upgraded during the game installation.
4. The installer will prompt for the CD Key which is provided either in your confirmation email, your game manual/packaging, or game card.
5. It is optional to install Punkbuster. For online play we strongly recommend installing Punkbuster since it’s required in order to join Punkbuster enabled servers. Only Punkbuster enabled servers will report your stats, so in order to progress in ranks, receive unlocks and gain stats you will need to have Punkbuster running and play on Punkbuster enabled servers.
6. The installer will prompt how you want to authenticate your copy of Medal of Honor. Disc authentication requires the Medal of Honor disc in the drive to be able to play. Online authentication requires an internet connection but doesn’t require the Medal of Honor disc in the drive to be able to play.
Note. With online authentication you get an unlimited number of activations. Activation happens automatically the first time you run the game on a new machine. Once a machine has been activated you can play without an online connection. You are allowed to activate the game on up to 5 new machines in any given 60 day time period.
When you go to activate on a new machine, you can do so on that machine as long as you have activated on less than 5 new machines in the last 60 days. Effectively, for every activation on a new machine, 60 days later your number of available activations will increase by 1.
Previous activations are never lost. At any time, including if you have currently run up against your limit, you can deactivate a currently activated machine to reclaim that activation for use on a different machine.
7. For XP users, the installation program adds the program group Electronic Arts/Medal of Honor to your Start/Programs menu, and a shortcut to your desktop (optional). Click on this shortcut or alternatively click on the start button on your Windows task bar.
Under Programs/Electronic Arts/Medal of Honor select “Medal of Honor” to play. For Vista/Win 7 users, the title will be added to the Games Explorer. From the Start menu, go to All Programs/Games and run Games Explorer.
Note. If the Auto insert notification feature has been disabled or the DVD is not recognized, run AutoRun.exe from the root directory of the DVD to begin the installation program.
For Medal of Honor Digital Download installation
Please contact the digital retailer through whom you purchased this game for instructions on how to install the game or how to download and reinstall another copy of the game.
Note. It is optional to install Punkbuster. For online play we strongly recommend installing Punkbuster since it’s required in order to join Punkbuster enabled servers.
Only Punkbuster enabled servers will report your stats, so in order to progress in ranks, receive unlocks and gain stats you will need to have Punkbuster running and play on Punkbuster enabled servers.
How to Uninstall and Deauthenticate
To uninstall Medal of Honor, click on the Start menu and select Settings\Control Panel (XP) or Control Panel (Vista/Win 7).
Now select Add or Remove Programs (XP) or Programs and Features (Vista/Win 7). Scroll down the list until you see Medal of Honor, select it and click on Change/Remove (XP) or Uninstall (Vista/Win 7) to uninstall.
If you’ve chosen online authentication during the Medal of Honor installation the uninstall process will automatically deauthenticate the system and update your available licenses accordingly. This process requires an internet connection to be present.
To deauthenticate a machine’s online authentication without un-installing:
For XP Users, From the Start menu, go to All Programs/Electronic Arts/Medal of Honor and select “Medal of Honor(tm) – Deauthorize this machine”.
For Vista/Win 7 users, From the Start menu, go to All Programs/Games and run Games Explorer. Right click the Medal of Honor icon and select “Medal of Honor(tm) – Deauthorize this machine”.
You can find the DirectX directory in the DVD or installation folder of your digitally downloaded game. If you face issues play Medal of Honor with your current DirectX installation, try the one that comes with the game.
How to Install DirectX 9.0c manually
Medal of Honor comes with DirectX 9.0c and will install it during installation. If you would like to install it manually, browse to the Medal of Honor installation package folder, open the “\DirectX” folder and click the on DXSETUP.exe
DirectX 9.0c and supported hardware
It is highly recommended that you ensure that your computer’s components are utilizing the most recent DirectX 9.0c compatible software drivers. Please consult your card manufacturer for their newest drivers.
Other Known Issues
If your system is not using the latest drivers please consider obtaining an updated driver. Doing this may also give you benefits such as increased performance, the elimination of a technical problem and new component features.
1. It is not recommended to use Alt+Tab or Alt+Enter commands in-game, as game functionality may be interrupted.
2. If the game audio sounds unbalanced, please ensure that any audio enhancements available to your sound card are disabled.
3. ATI Catalyst Control Center users who have deselected the Anti-Aliasing option “Use Application Settings” should disable Anti-Aliasing in the Medal of Honor Video settings.
4. It is highly recommended that you ensure that your computer’s components are utilizing the most recent DirectX 9.0c compatible software drivers. Please consult your card manufacturer for their newest drivers.
5. You can change what DirectX version the game will use in the settings.ini. Default value is DxVersion=auto you can change it to either 9, 10 or 11 (DirectX 10 and DirectX 11 are only supported in the multiplayer portion of Medal of Honor).
The auto setting chooses the highest DX version possible on your system.
The settings.ini file is located in your documents folder in a sub folder \EA Games\Medal of Honor\Multiplayer. You can access it by opening an Explorer window and clicking on My Documents (XP) or Documents (Vista/Win 7).
Open the Medal of Honor\Multiplayer folder and edit the settings.ini file. Please note that the setting.ini file will be created the first time you run Medal of Honor.
6. Players using a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card and Windows Vista/7 who are playing in 5.1 surround sound may not experience sound from the center speaker.
7. Players using a Hercules Gamesurround Fortissmo II sound card and Windows XP who are playing in 5.1 surround sound may not experience sound from the center speaker.
8# Medal of Honor Low Performance Issues
The only probable reason is that the DirectX is set to auto and cause failure of graphics results, set it 9 or 10 manually and everything will be resolved.
9# Game Crashes After the Round is Over
Seems to be a problem with the crossfire guys mostly, if you are one of them, only solution to this issue is starting the game in DirectX 10. Or if it still persists, run it on one GPU.
10#Medal of Honor Connection Issues, Can’t Connect to Server
1. How to Fix “Can’t Login to EA Account”
Now open hosts file and edit the EA servers.
# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
# 127.0.0.1 localhost
# ::1 localhost
All you need to do is add # in front of 127.0.0.1 so, it looks like this.
# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
# 127.0.0.1 localhost
# ::1 localhost
You can try this free utility, and see if it optimizes your connection to bypass this issue.
Medal of Honor 2010 Xbox 360 Controller Fix
Apparently Xbox 360 controller on PC doesn’t go well with the Medal of Honor, turning and strafing commands are conflicting with each other. It seems like gamepad programming tab is broken in game, which makes the controller enable to work with the game on PC. There is also problem with the right stick sensitivity, it’s just too much to control or move player. You can try utilities like Xpadder to make it work, worth a try. I have been searching around for past two days now for the probable fix but no luck, will update once I have it.
12# Medal of Honor Blue Screen of Death
If you face BSOD, there are probable reasons for that. You are low on memory, virus, system drivers, overclocked PC heated up, or your power supply has gone bad. Checking every possibility may resolve this for you.
13# Can’t Join Any Server “Windows Vista/Windows 7”
If you are unable to join any server and you are on Windows Vista/ Windows 7, run the game as administrator to resolve this issue. It can be other connection issues reported above but may be you are one the lucky guys, who will have it resolved by running the game as admin.
14# Medal Of Honor 2010 Graphics Bugs
- Update your drivers
- Backdate your drivers
- Running Crossfire or SLI?, Disable it.
- If you have Overclocked your PC or video card? Back it down to stock.
- Try a different resolution.
- Play around with all the settings, one by one, see if there is a specific one that’s causing problems.
- Make sure your card can handle the game and is not overheating they all may be due to overheating.
15# Connection Interrupted “EA Servers are not currently unavailable”
Problem faced by the Steam users, that whenever they click Server Browser, this error pops up saying ea servers are currently unavailable. Close the Steam, and re-run it and now join the server and you will be able to enter into match.
16# Medal of Honor 2010 White Screen
Not really a common error but if you are someone at the receiving end, experiencing this error on loadout screens, update your graphic card drivers, directx and other hardware drivers.
17# Game Freezes on Server Login Screens
If you are game is freezing on server login screens or other instances while loading map or enter into the match server. It’s time to update your video card drivers.
18# Black Menu Music and Mouse Only
You started the game, and can hear music, and can see mouse all else is black screen. Another issue related to Steam, fix it turning off the Steam community overlay for the game. In your Library, right click on Medal of Honor and go to properties. The menu that pops up should have a check box with the option “Enable Steam Community In-Game.” Uncheck it and try again.
19# How to Uninstall Medal of Honor MP Beta
If your previous installation of Medal of Honor MP beta is getting in the way to install this game, just go to control panel and uninstall it. If you installed the beta through steam, and can’t see the beta in library.
Now, go to the installation directory and start the exe, it will give you an error as the beta is over, but now that you have done that, game shows up in the library. Right click and select to delete local content, to remove the beta from your system.
20# Multiplayer Stats not Saving
If you played multiplayer and stats didn’t save, log out, and log in back and the stats would show up. It’s not that stats are not being uploaded to ea servers but its the local client bug that is not showing the stats.
21# MOH SP Exe Doesn’t Start
Go to your game directory and run moh.exe as admin. If you bought the game off steam, go to game directory:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\medal of honor\Binaries
right click on moh.exe and choose run as administrator.
22# Medal of Honor 2010 Port Forwarding
18390 TCP Outgoing
18395 TCP Outgoing
18395 UDP Outgoing
13505 TCP Outgoing
80 TCP Outgoing
23# Medal of Honor SP/MP High Mouse Sensitivity
My Documents > EA Games > Medal Of Honor > Config > MOHAInput
Change it to value that suits you and Save.
Everytime you want to change the sensitivity you must close the game down, then restart it to apply the settings.
If you want to change the sensitivity for MP game, go to “GameSettings.ini”, in
Documents/EA Games/Medal of Honor/Multiplayer/
and turn acceleration off.
24# Multiplayer Version CD Key Issues Fix via Valve Support
If you are having issues launching the Multiplayer version of Medal of Honor, please try the following:
- Double-click and download both the Single Player and Multiplayer versions of Medal of Honor within your Steam library. If neither edition are listed in your Steam Games Library, please restart Steam.
- Once the downloads are both complete, please launch the Single Player version of the game. Once you have reached the main menu of the Single Player version of the game please click exit.
- Once back to your desktop, please launch the Multiplayer version of the game. You should now be able to play Medal of Honor Multiplayer.
If at any time you are prompted for your CD Key, please right click the Single Player version of the game after it has been installed and click “View Game CD Key”. You may copy and paste the CD Key from that dialogue. If the “View Game CD Key” option is not available, please Verify Your Game Cache.
25# How to Skip Intro Videos
If you want to skip the intro videos at startup for both Singleplayer and Multiplayer parts of the game, follow the instructions below.
- Download this archive.
- Extract the contents to this directory: medal of honor\MP\Output\win32\movies
- Click yes to overwrite.
- Navigate to this directory: medal of honor\MOHAGame\CookedMovies\movies
- Rename MOHA_Legal_ID_Only.vp6 to MOHA_Legal_ID_Only.vp6.bak
Back Up first, before you go ahead to change the files.
If you face any other issue let us know, and we will try to help you out. We will update this article during course of first week of the game launch, with all the feedback from people like you facing issue and their possible workarounds before developer’s release the patch.