We are so done with Medal of Honor 2010 beta and now comes the final game and we are here again, taking on the errors, crashes, and freezes one at a time. It was interesting to see few people canceling their pre-order just because beta was “that buggy”. It was plagued by game breaking issues, errors, freezes, and infamous crashes to desktop, the very problem still not resolved in Battlefield Bad Company 2, though only few face this problem now.
Developers, DICE, I got to say tried their best to resolve all these issues before hand, and also extended the beta just for the sake of perfecting the final product. Still, you can’t release a product perfect when there are millions of people who will actually be playing Medal of Honor, Online/Offline. There is no way, for a developer to fix everything that will be faced by people who will be playing the game.
Anyway, will save this talk for another day. Here are some of the most frequent errors, freezes, crashes, and bugs faced by people while playing the game.
Medal of Honor 2010 Errors, Crashes, Freezes, and Fixes
1# Medal of Honor 2010 Controls Bug
Started playing the game but the soldier automatically starts moving to a certain direction ?. Can’t change anything on the menu screen because of repeated up/down movements of cursor ?. This issue is arising because Medal of Honor 2010 automatically uses your controller, so if you have any controller plugged in, unplug the controller and the issue will be resolved.
2# “You Have Been Kicked From the Server” at Class Selection
If you face this while at Class selection screen of Medal of Honor, make sure you have Punkbuster installed.
3# Medal of Honor 2010 Crashes and Freezing
If you are facing random crashes and game freezes while playing Medal of Honor Operation Anaconda, try running the game in DirectX 9 or 10. It happens due to DirectX settings set to auto.
How to Set DirectX Version
C:\Users\\Documents\EA Games\Medal of Honor MP
Open settings.ini file with any text editor be it notepad.
Now change DxVersion=Auto to DxVersion=10. If you want to run the game in DirectX 9, change the respective number, change 10 to 9 or 11.
4# Medal of Honor 2010 Black Screen
5# Medal of Honor 2010 Crash to Desktop
1. Go to
C:\Users\\Documents\EA Games\Medal of Honor MP
Open “settings.ini”and change “DxVersion” from “auto” to “9”. Also try running the game as admin in Windows Vista SP2 compatibility.
2. If you can’t resolve this crash whatsoever then only solution is to Open “settings.ini” and under [WindowSettings] change fullscreen=”true” to fullscreen=”false” and play the game windowed for the time being. If you can get into Full List of Medal Of Honor 2010 Tweaks through the link.
6# Medal of Honor 2010 Freezes
If your Medal of Honor is randomly freezing, update your video card drivers will resolve this issue. On the side note, make sure your processor usage percentage is normal and you have enough available virtual memory to support/run the game smoothly.
Medal of Honor 2010 Troubleshooting Guide
Medal of Honor 2010 Install Problems
Medal of Honor will only install and run on machines installed with Windows XP (SP3), Windows Vista (SP2), Windows 7.
To install from the Medal of Honor DVD
1. Start your machine and wait for the Windows XP/Vista/Windows 7 operating system to load.
2. Place the Medal of Honor DVD in the DVD drive.
3. Windows will automatically detect the DVD and launch the autorun options, from which the user can select to begin the installation. Follow the on-screen instructions to install Medal of Honor. If needed, DirectX 9.0c will be installed or upgraded during the game installation.
4. The installer will prompt for the CD Key which is provided either in your confirmation email, your game manual/packaging, or game card.
5. It is optional to install Punkbuster. For online play we strongly recommend installing Punkbuster since it’s required in order to join Punkbuster enabled servers. Only Punkbuster enabled servers will report your stats, so in order to progress in ranks, receive unlocks and gain stats you will need to have Punkbuster running and play on Punkbuster enabled servers.
6. The installer will prompt how you want to authenticate your copy of Medal of Honor. Disc authentication requires the Medal of Honor disc in the drive to be able to play. Online authentication requires an internet connection but doesn’t require the Medal of Honor disc in the drive to be able to play.
Note. With online authentication you get an unlimited number of activations. Activation happens automatically the first time you run the game on a new machine. Once a machine has been activated you can play without an online connection. You are allowed to activate the game on up to 5 new machines in any given 60 day time period.
When you go to activate on a new machine, you can do so on that machine as long as you have activated on less than 5 new machines in the last 60 days. Effectively, for every activation on a new machine, 60 days later your number of available activations will increase by 1.
Previous activations are never lost. At any time, including if you have currently run up against your limit, you can deactivate a currently activated machine to reclaim that activation for use on a different machine.
7. For XP users, the installation program adds the program group Electronic Arts/Medal of Honor to your Start/Programs menu, and a shortcut to your desktop (optional). Click on this shortcut or alternatively click on the start button on your Windows task bar.
Under Programs/Electronic Arts/Medal of Honor select “Medal of Honor” to play. For Vista/Win 7 users, the title will be added to the Games Explorer. From the Start menu, go to All Programs/Games and run Games Explorer.
Note. If the Auto insert notification feature has been disabled or the DVD is not recognized, run AutoRun.exe from the root directory of the DVD to begin the installation program.
For Medal of Honor Digital Download installation
Please contact the digital retailer through whom you purchased this game for instructions on how to install the game or how to download and reinstall another copy of the game.
Note. It is optional to install Punkbuster. For online play we strongly recommend installing Punkbuster since it’s required in order to join Punkbuster enabled servers.
Only Punkbuster enabled servers will report your stats, so in order to progress in ranks, receive unlocks and gain stats you will need to have Punkbuster running and play on Punkbuster enabled servers.
How to Uninstall and Deauthenticate
To uninstall Medal of Honor, click on the Start menu and select Settings\Control Panel (XP) or Control Panel (Vista/Win 7).
Now select Add or Remove Programs (XP) or Programs and Features (Vista/Win 7). Scroll down the list until you see Medal of Honor, select it and click on Change/Remove (XP) or Uninstall (Vista/Win 7) to uninstall.
If you’ve chosen online authentication during the Medal of Honor installation the uninstall process will automatically deauthenticate the system and update your available licenses accordingly. This process requires an internet connection to be present.
To deauthenticate a machine’s online authentication without un-installing:
For XP Users, From the Start menu, go to All Programs/Electronic Arts/Medal of Honor and select “Medal of Honor(tm) – Deauthorize this machine”.
For Vista/Win 7 users, From the Start menu, go to All Programs/Games and run Games Explorer. Right click the Medal of Honor icon and select “Medal of Honor(tm) – Deauthorize this machine”.
You can find the DirectX directory in the DVD or installation folder of your digitally downloaded game. If you face issues play Medal of Honor with your current DirectX installation, try the one that comes with the game.
How to Install DirectX 9.0c manually
Medal of Honor comes with DirectX 9.0c and will install it during installation. If you would like to install it manually, browse to the Medal of Honor installation package folder, open the “\DirectX” folder and click the on DXSETUP.exe
DirectX 9.0c and supported hardware
It is highly recommended that you ensure that your computer’s components are utilizing the most recent DirectX 9.0c compatible software drivers. Please consult your card manufacturer for their newest drivers.
Other Known Issues
If your system is not using the latest drivers please consider obtaining an updated driver. Doing this may also give you benefits such as increased performance, the elimination of a technical problem and new component features.
1. It is not recommended to use Alt+Tab or Alt+Enter commands in-game, as game functionality may be interrupted.
2. If the game audio sounds unbalanced, please ensure that any audio enhancements available to your sound card are disabled.
3. ATI Catalyst Control Center users who have deselected the Anti-Aliasing option “Use Application Settings” should disable Anti-Aliasing in the Medal of Honor Video settings.
4. It is highly recommended that you ensure that your computer’s components are utilizing the most recent DirectX 9.0c compatible software drivers. Please consult your card manufacturer for their newest drivers.
5. You can change what DirectX version the game will use in the settings.ini. Default value is DxVersion=auto you can change it to either 9, 10 or 11 (DirectX 10 and DirectX 11 are only supported in the multiplayer portion of Medal of Honor).
The auto setting chooses the highest DX version possible on your system.
The settings.ini file is located in your documents folder in a sub folder \EA Games\Medal of Honor\Multiplayer. You can access it by opening an Explorer window and clicking on My Documents (XP) or Documents (Vista/Win 7).
Open the Medal of Honor\Multiplayer folder and edit the settings.ini file. Please note that the setting.ini file will be created the first time you run Medal of Honor.