Tunngle is a virtual network adapter and a hamachi alternative. In case you don’t know what is Hamachi, its a tool that helps you play your favorite game on virtual LAN with your friends. Tunngle as a hamachi alternative and does the same but, has few features which make it better then hamachi. *Debatable*
We have generally preferred playing games online likeLeft4Dead for instance on hamachi but as Tunngle is quickly gaining popularity, I thought it would be better to write about it first. So lets get down to how you can setup Left4dead 2 and play it with your friends using Tunngle.
How to Use Tunngle to Play Left4dead 2
Download and Install Tunngle.
Login to your Tunngle account.
Click on the browser on the bottom left of the program and choose the type of the game you want to play. In case of Left4dead 2 “Shooters”, and then choose Left4dead 2 from the list.
Join the Room and follow the instructions given below to host and join Left4dead 2 game using Tunngle.
How to Host/Join Left4dead 2 Server On Tunngle
Update your game to the latest patch. For example right now it is 2002 so download and update the game with it.
To Know Your Left4dead 2 Version of the Game
1. Open dev console.
2. Type “version”.
3. Update your game accordingly.
Download and Install the Stryder Patch to minimize game crashes to desktop.
Run Ingen.exe in the root and then run left4dead2.exe to start the game.
Step 4 | Host Left4dead 2 Game
1. Open dev console.
2. Type “hostname (name of your game)” to setup the server name. Like if you put “hostname SegmentNext” it will give you a Left4dead 2 game server called “SegmentNext”.
3. Type “sv_allow_lobby_connect_only 0″ and hit enter.
4. Type “sv_lan 1″ and hit enter.
5. To fix any consistency errors your players may get, type “sv_consistency 0″.
6. Type “map mapname gamemode” to setup a map and game mode for your server. Like “map c1m1_hotel versus”
Once the game is hosted, your friends will see your game hosted under Steam Group Servers. Click on the server and then click join to play that game.
Suggestions, Tips, and comments are appreciated.